Portrait of Emperor Nicholas II, 1908
by Alexander Vladimirovich Makovsky
Studied at the Academy of Arts from 1894 to 1895.
From 1897 worked as custodian of educational materials and resources at the Academy library.
Teacher and Dirctor of Studies from 1898;
academician from 1911 and professor from 1913.
Oil on canvas, 292 x 153 cm
The tsar is portrayed in the uniform of the Life-guards Hussar Regiment,
with a ribbon of the Order of St. Anderw the First Called. Tsarskoie Selo,
and in particular the Church of St. Sophia, the regimental chapel, can be seen in the background.
The area in the foreground was the traditional site for the Hussars' camp with their barracks, stables, riding school and out-buildings.
Nicholas and Alexandra - The Last Imperial Family of Tsarist Russia
Home | Online Exhibition | About the Exhibition | Broughton International | Original Virtual Exhibit | Links
© 1998-2005 Broughton International | Website Design by Pallasart Web Design Austin