Grand Piano, 1898
St. Petersburg, Mechanism by the firm of A.M. Schroeder (no. 17003), decoration by E.K. Liphart, bronze by C. Bertault, carving by S. Volkovyssy
On the lid top right: Липгартъ (Liphart) 1898.
Wood, gilded bronze, painting, carving
277 x 156 x 100 cm
This grand piano was a gift to Empress Alexandra Feodorovna from her husband. Its decoration was entrusted to one of the most famous St. Petersburg artists of the time, Ernest Karlovich Liphart, who covered the finished instrument with paintings on the theme of the myth of Orpheus. In his memoirs he wrote that he had painted 100 figures on the piano depicting the entire legend of Orpheus.
Nicholas and Alexandra - The Last Imperial Family of Tsarist Russia
Home | Online Exhibition | About the Exhibition | Broughton International | Original Virtual Exhibit | Links
© 1998-2005 Broughton International | Website Design by Pallasart Web Design Austin